Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Unique Perspective


Believe it or not, personal trainers have the same struggles as everyone else. Some mornings we wake up and say 'I don't feel like exercising'. We have bad days, grumpy families and weeks that seem to drag on forever. Weight problems? Sure, sometimes! We've discussed this in our previous blogs.

Just like you may be, we struggle with health problems that interfere with every day life, including our fitness goals.

I've had first hand experience with this. I've been a personal trainer for a long time, a fitness nut since the age of 13 and I've always put a focus on my health. But the last few years have been a struggle for me with my health. It started with not being able to take a deep breath, I couldn't sleep and was constantly fatigued.

I went from being able to run 8-12 miles without blinking, to barely finishing a 15 minute walk. I mysteriously gained 40 pounds very quickly and couldn't take it off no matter how much I watched my calorie intake.

I went through several doctors (including trips to the hospital) and got many diagnoses: panic attacks, asthma, anxiety, etc.

Several medications later, no change. A few years go by and I was still pursuing better health, still miserable! Finally, a breakthrough came with the diagnosis of severe allergies, a 'mystery virus' and respiratory Candida (causing the weight gain and the breathlessness). I got on allergy shots and meds, which helped a little but I still didn't feel good, still very fatigued.

Six plus years later, I found a doctor with answers! Tests found that adrenal fatigue was the underlying cause of all of my issues, listed above plus some others she found.

Adrenal fatigue caused these issues for me: hypothyroid, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, allergies, respiratory Candida, chronic coughing, hypoglycemia, insomnia and my mysterious virus floating around...

So after six plus years,...numerous doctors and one telling me I'll 'never be normal and just deal with it', this is what sticks out in my mind: My newest doctor said 'You are going to feel better. There's alway hope.' You know what, I believe that.

This story isn't for me to feel sorry for myself. It's not to say I have health issues, so I'm 'sickly'. Quite the opposite! Just when I felt like I was never going to feel better, I was led to someone who gave me hope!

I'm so thankful for many things. I'm thankful that my friend referred this doctor to me, for a doctor that cares and a supportive family.

I'm not thankful for these health problems, but I am thankful that God has given me a unique perspective on life. I know this makes me a better trainer and a better person.

I pray I can be a voice of hope to people who may be struggling themselves. I want to be a good example to everyone I contact (definitely a work in progress!). Never give up. Don't settle for a life of mediocrity, don't let others tell you that you can't be the best you. Keep pushing, keep looking. If you are unhealthy, take action and find help! Take control and don't listen to Negative Nellies!

Everyone has areas in life where they struggle, and everyone that we come in contact with is dealing with something. We may not ever know what their struggles are, but whether we like it or not, everyone is an example. We each choose to be a bad, negative example, or a good positive example of hope. I'm choosing to be positive, which direction will you choose?


Do you have a similar story to share? Have a question? We'd love to hear from you, write your comment below. If you're enjoying our blog, please follow us!

3 comments:

  1. What an inspiring story, Emily! During the time I've known you, you've always seemed like a strong, motivated individual, so I have no doubt that you will persevere & make all your dreams come true! Best of luck with everything, Jill John

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, Emily--The right doctor can make such a difference! You are a great role model for people struggling to stay fit while working through health challenges.

    I know exactly how you feel...Over the course of 6-7 years, I started becoming more and more fatigued and then started gaining weight..a LOT of weight! I used to love to exercise, but it got to the point that I couldn't even get through a regular (sedentary) day without being exhausted.

    I ended up collapsing and was put in cardiac intensive care, where I found out I had a rare defect in my heart's electrical system which had been causing the problem. After a heart procedure and starting some good (but permanent) heart meds, I was finally able to gradually return to being active.

    Getting back in shape sometimes seems like such an uphill battle, but it feels so good to be able to workout again! This time two years ago, I had to stop and rest while walking from one end of my house to the other. Now I can run on my elliptical for 90 minutes, even on medium-high resistance, and still have energy to get through my day. Personal perserverance and good medical support can make a world of difference! -Kelly Wright

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I missed both of these comments from Jill and Kelly until today, so sorry!

    Thank you, Jill, for the encouragement and the kind words.

    Thank you, Kelly, for sharing your story. Wow, that's quite an experience! I'm so glad you're better now. I'm sure your story is inspiring others to not only take care of themselves, but to listen to their bodies. Thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete