Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Choose Discipline


Let's face it, staying healthy and fit isn't easy. It requires daily discipline. Some days it feels like a chore to get up and exercise. Sometimes it sounds like so much more fun to eat a bowl of ice cream than a bowl of fruit. Right?
Even for fitness professionals it can be difficult. I know for me, I've had days I'd rather sit on my couch and watch tv than to go for a run. Do you know why I pick myself up every time? I know the payoff is far better than the immediate satisfaction.
By payoff, I don't mean fitting into a pair of jeans, although sometimes that's what helps motivates me! But, it's more than that. Much more...
"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11
Wellness, health, fitness -- whatever you want to call it -- is just like any other discipline. We don't enjoy discipline for it's own sake. Discipline is painful. But what comes out of the discipline is wonderful!
Think of the peace we have when our bodies are healthy. Training our bodies, making them strong, is so much more than looking good. It's about having stamina to play with and teach our kids. It's about being healthy so we can be the person we were created to be.
Our bodies are created to MOVE! They WANT to move, they shout out to be FIT.
Nowadays, if I miss a workout, my body screams at me. It's true! I've trained it to move and be challenged daily. If not, I feel tight, bloated and I've been known to get a little cranky (just ask my husband).
Have you felt the peace of being fit and healthy in life yet? If not, I encourage you to try it!
You don't need to go for a run to do right for your body. Get up and MOVE! Work up a sweat, and do something daily. You'll be surprised what a little daily discipline will do!
Share your story with us. What helps you with your discipline?

No comments:

Post a Comment