Saturday, April 24, 2010

No Worries In Fitness


"Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" ~ Matthew 6:27

How does this apply to wellness & fitness? Let me give you an example. When I was in high school, I was extremely strict about my fitness routine and my nutrition, to the point where it was an obsession.

I exercised way too much. Besides going to school, it was pretty much all I did. I wouldn't eat anything with more than 2 grams of fat (try finding anything with less than 2g/fat!). I wouldn't go out to eat - ever. I didn't hang out with friends or family because I would worry about when I would workout next.

How does that sound to you? Sounds pretty horrible, right? It was. I was a self made prisoner of my own health. I worried constantly about fitness and was obsessed with control.

One day, I realized the exact thing I was striving for was making my life miserable! I was so unhappy because I was worried about my own body that I couldn't enjoy being healthy.

Years later, I work to help people find a happy medium so they can enjoy life in good health.

Where are you in all of this? Are you obsessive about exercising, freaked out if you miss a workout or eat a piece of pie once a month? It's easy to be that person...Or maybe you're someone who's tried to lose weight several times but have been unsuccessful and you're worried you'll never get the weight off.

We all need to strive to be our best. Our bodies want to be healthy and fit - but, if we worry about it too much we're sabotaging the exact thing we're working towards!

Have fun with your fitness. Be thankful you have the ability to do whatever mode of exercise you choose. If you miss a workout every now and then, it's not the end of the world. If you're over weight, strive to get healthy yes. But don't forget to enjoy the process of learning a new lifestyle.

Remember, we all touch everyone we come in contact with, especially our families. We're not doing anyone any favors by worrying about our bodies. Be an example that fitness is fun and proper nutrition is not a chore.

I guess the bottom line is, leave the worries behind and enjoy the ride!

Learn more about Emily Collins here.

No comments:

Post a Comment