Cross training is adding different modes of exercises into your routine. For example: if your only form of cardio is running, add an extra day of swimming or spin class.
Here are just a few benefits of cross training:
- By using your muscles differently (and in some cases, different muscles) you run less risk of injury/over training.
- You develop a new set of skills.
- Helps you maintain, and probably improve, your fitness level.
- Reduces boredom of doing the same thing all the time.
- Helps you to stay flexible in your schedule.
Here are some examples of modes of exercises you can use:
- Spin class
- Row machine
- Machines & free weights
- Tubes, bands & stability ball
- Pilates, yoga
- Calisthenics (pushups, pullups, crunches, etc)
- Circuit training, plyometrics
Give yourself one day per week to try a new exercise and reap the rewards of being overall fit, healthy and injury free!