Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cycle of fitness

Today at the beach after I'd done some swimming, I overheard two women discussing their upcoming swim training as they passed me.  I assumed they were triathletes based on their lingo and their suits.

They looked and spoke like they were comfortable with the upcoming workout.  These women acted confident and when they started their swim, they
Ala Moana Beach, Oahu
obviously knew what they were doing.

You know what else?  These women didn't look "perfect" in the sense that the media likes to portray.  They didn't look like professional athletes.  They looked like normal people who were active and fit.

The only reason I was aware of what they looked like is because I'm a trainer.  NOT because I judge bodies - quite the opposite.  I work with people every day who are beginners.  They're nervous that people judge them.  They're afraid, sometimes, to work toward a goal (like a triathlon or 5k, or whatever) because they might not fit in or feel they're overweight & will embarrass themselves. 

I absolutely love it when I see people who look just like everyday people getting down and dirty with the goal of their choice!  I love it because good for them.  And I love it because they're the wonderfully perfect inspiration for us ALL to take a leap and go for our dreams!  And when we go for it, it inspires others to do the same, creating a cycle of goodness.

So, thank you ladies at the beach.  You'll never know that your afternoon training swim inspired this trainer! -- Written by Emily Collins, Owner of OnTrack Fitness & personal trainer (Honolulu HI)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment