Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Being well is more than fitness

Followed a few favorite poses from the book Power Yoga
for Beginners by Liz Lark
Being well, or wellness, is so much more than being fit.  My chronic health issues constantly remind me to take care of myself.  For me, staying fit really helps but it takes more than going out for a run.

Over the past two weeks I've been having a lot more neck & spine pain.  Last night I was really feeling bad.  Since I know exercise helps, I went for a 3 mile run.  I then practiced some of my favorite yoga poses to ease pain, concentrating on relaxing & flowing through the poses with my breath. 

My husband helped me gently get into some poses a bit more for MUCH needed added stretch. 

Since I have moderate scoliosis, I don't have much range of motion. My neck, spine, shoulders & hips hurt all the time. Exercise, ice, chiropractor visits & advil (only if absolutely needed) help keep it at bay. If I don't exercise I'm in great pain. Yoga really helps, and with my husbands help last night I felt SO much better and was able to go to bed with an ice pack, pain free. The chiro visit I had this morning was perfect timing!  Feeling much more positive about things! -- Written by Emily Collins, Owner & trainer Honolulu HI

No comments:

Post a Comment