Monday, May 17, 2010

Fitness health


I was on my bike, half way up a HUGE hill when I asked myself "why". Why was I there?

Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge. I don't shy away from a good, hard workout. In fact, I enjoy it. There has to be a reason in it, though. But being on a mountain bike, riding up the pavement, I didn't see the point.

Especially since I had doctor's orders not to push too hard.

Nevertheless, I found myself there, pushing way too hard. I didn't know it would be so difficult to get up that hill! My husband and I were at Brown County State Park, going over the same trail that we have our first mountain bike race in June.

I finally made it, lungs burning and panting for air. Guess what? I saw another one ahead. So, I took in what air I could, and started in on the next one.

I thought that if I could just make it through these hills, I could do the race...I had my heart set on it. A car pulled up directly behind me, almost taunting me not to stop. I didn't care, I was going to push it...

Then, I had a voice inside telling me I'm never going to get better if I keep pushing up this horrid hill (read what's wrong here and here). Is it worth setting my health back, just to say I made it?

I'm pleased to tell you, I swallowed my pride, got off the bike and walked the remainder of the hill. Nothing happened. The world didn't end, no one cared -- but I feel great!