Monday, May 17, 2010

Fitness health


I was on my bike, half way up a HUGE hill when I asked myself "why". Why was I there?

Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge. I don't shy away from a good, hard workout. In fact, I enjoy it. There has to be a reason in it, though. But being on a mountain bike, riding up the pavement, I didn't see the point.

Especially since I had doctor's orders not to push too hard.

Nevertheless, I found myself there, pushing way too hard. I didn't know it would be so difficult to get up that hill! My husband and I were at Brown County State Park, going over the same trail that we have our first mountain bike race in June.

I finally made it, lungs burning and panting for air. Guess what? I saw another one ahead. So, I took in what air I could, and started in on the next one.

I thought that if I could just make it through these hills, I could do the race...I had my heart set on it. A car pulled up directly behind me, almost taunting me not to stop. I didn't care, I was going to push it...

Then, I had a voice inside telling me I'm never going to get better if I keep pushing up this horrid hill (read what's wrong here and here). Is it worth setting my health back, just to say I made it?

I'm pleased to tell you, I swallowed my pride, got off the bike and walked the remainder of the hill. Nothing happened. The world didn't end, no one cared -- but I feel great!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a quitter. One thing that I am proud of in my workouts is that I know when to push and when to hold back. I really don't want to risk injury that would then have me off track from my goals! I'm good at listening to my body and knowing when the urge to stop is me being puny vs me truly needing to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. It's important to listen to your body always. If you're already doing that, you're ahead of most folks!

    ReplyDelete