Monday, May 3, 2010

Kids and fitness


This past weekend I had the chance to be a part of something really special. I help sponsor a race series called Kids Racing For Kids. It's an all kids triathlon, ages 7-14.

This first (of six) race was at the IUPUI Sports Complex. I was pleasantly surprised to talk with so many kids, a lot of them very young, that were veteran triathletes! There were also a lot of first timers there. I must say, all of those kids were much more light hearted on race morning than I am.

I'm a triathlete myself, so I have a special place in my heart for anyone that swims, bikes and runs. But to see a child participating in an event like this is so exciting! What a great time to introduce an activity that is not only fun, not just going to get them in great shape, but it's a huge confidence builder.

When I first started training for triathlons, I didn't know if it was something I could even finish. Then when I finished my first race - WOW! What a thrill! The sense of achievement is indescribable.

I think about how a simple race can truly be life changing.

I now think about those kids. I think about how, by participating in events like these, it actually helps form a person's life. Starting as a child, it helps mold their behaviors, their sense of self worth for the rest of their lives!

Any kid can do this. There were all kids there - small, big, shy, confident. I saw every personality. The cool thing: they all belonged there.

I wish there had been kid's triathlons when I was a kid. Would it ease my race day jitters? I imagine that it would be second nature to find time to go to the pool, or get on my bike every day.

Do you have kids? Do you encourage them to participate in events like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment