Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ice baths


Since I've started training for my first marathon, I started reading up on ice baths. I never did ice bathing while training for other events, but I figured that if I was ever going to do it, now is the time!

So, I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago, and jumped into a bath tub full of ice water. Guess what? It wasn't that bad! Yes, it was freezing cold at first. But, after a minute or two, not that bad. I was really shocked.

But the best part was later. I felt GREAT! No tired legs, no pain. My body felt fresh and healthy. It was wonderful.

Today when I did my ice bath, I put a stocking cap on my head to keep my head warm, got in and just read a book for 15 minutes or so. It was relaxing and believe it or not, enjoying in a way.

So, I'm hoping that as my mileage gets higher that the ice baths play a role in helping my body stay healthy and injury free.

If you're like me and have never tried an ice bath after a long run, bike or another long workout, I urge you to just try it! You may be, in a way, pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment